4 Full Scholarships for Master Students from the Global South in the field of Water and Climate Adaptation
Host universities: Technische Universität Dresden, Germany and RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Awarded by the DAAD-funded “Global Water and Climate Adaptation Centre – Aachen, Bangkok, Chennai, Dresden (ABCD-Centre)”
I. What is the Global Water and Climate Adaptation Centre – Aachen, Bangkok, Chennai, Dresden (ABCD-Centre)?
With the ABCD-Centre, the project partners RWTH Aachen University, Asian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, United Nations University – Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES) and Technische Universität Dresden are joining forces in an effort to address the global challenge of water security and climate change adaptation in a systematic manner.
The ABCD-Centre is engaged in three intertwined research clusters:
– Cluster I: “Water Security, Water Resources Management, Secure Water Supply and Water Treatment”
– Cluster II: “Ecosystem Resilience and Nature-Based Adaptation Measures”
– Cluster III: “Transfer Strategies for Climate Adaptation: Traditional Knowledge, Local Economies and Societal Acceptance”.
A key objective of the ABCD-Centre is the research-oriented scientific training of talented students from the Global South. It is in this context that the ABCD-Centre awards four full scholarships for master students from the Global South in the field of water and climate adaptation.
II. Current opportunity: 4 Full Scholarships
The ABCD-Centre currently accepts applications for four scholarships for a duration of 4 semesters (2 years) for master students from the Global South. The scholarships are given to successful applicants from October 2022 until September 2024 as follows:
– 1 full scholarship for 4 semesters to study the course “Engineering Geohazards M.Sc.” at RWTH Aachen University, Germany
– 1 full scholarship for 4 semesters to study the course “Sustainable Management Water and Energy M.Sc.” at RWTH Aachen University, Germany
– 1 full scholarship for 4 semesters to study the course “Tropical Forestry M.Sc.” at Technische Universität Dresden, Germany
– 1 full scholarship for 4 semesters to study the course “ Hydro Science and Engineering M.Sc.” at Technische Universität Dresden, Germany
III. Who can apply?
Students from the Global South who have graduated with a Bachelor’s degree and who successfully applied to one of the four Master courses:
– “ Engineering Geohazards M.Sc.” at RWTH Aachen University
– “ Sustainable Management Water and Energy M.Sc.” at RWTH Aachen University
– “ Tropical Forestry M.Sc.” at Technische Universität Dresden
– “ Hydro Science and Engineering M.Sc.” at Technische Universität Dresden
Without the admission to one of these programs, scholarships cannot be given.
IV. What do the scholarships entail?
The scholarship consists of a mobility component, a component for accommodation and living expenses and a component for insurances. These are:
– a monthly amount for accommodation and living expenses: 861€;
– a monthly amount for insurances: max. 89€;
– a one-time amount for travel expenses in 2022: max. 500 €.
V. Application process
Please send your application with the documents mentioned below in one pdf file to:
Application deadline for the scholarship: June 15th, 2022.
The dates and deadlines of the respective Master courses apply.
The Winter Semester in Germany starts in October 2022. Please inquire the exact dates with the coordinators of the above-mentioned courses. Please bear in mind that introductory programs (e.g. Welcome Weeks) organized by the host universities might take place earlier.
1. Recent Curriculum Vitae;
2. Passport copy;
3. Bachelor degree certificate or current enrolment certificate with current transcript of records (not older than 3 months) from the home institution;
4. Abstract of the Bachelor thesis in a subject relevant for the ABCD-Centre (max. 4 pages)
5. A recent letter of recommendation from an academic supervisor (not older than 3 months); this letter of recommendation has to be specifically written for this scholarship;
6. Personal motivation for studying one of the 4 Master courses including the motivation to live and study in Germany (max. 3 pages)
7. Documentation of relevant internships or work experience, if any;
8. English Certificates (TOEFL Test minimum score 550 paper based, 213 computer based test, IELTS (band 6)
9. Description of planned contributions to the ABCD-Centre (max. 1 page), e.g. willingness to:
- co-organize events with other Master students on the theme of water and climate adaptation;
- engage with student communities at host institutions (e.g. for environmental or social causes);
- contribute to the outreach activities of the ABCD-Centre;
- participate in events of the ABCD-Centre;
- present results of Master thesis.
VI. Selection criteria and process
- The application needs to be complete to be considered;
- The ABCD-Centre advocates equal opportunities and diversity;
- The selection is based on merit. A very good academic record, the quality of the recommendation letters and the demonstration of the personal motivation of the applicant are important;
- Preference is given to applicants who are willing to contribute to the ABCD-Centre’s outreach agenda;
- Demonstration of English skills and communication skills is important;
- The selection will be conducted by the Steering Committee of the ABCD-Centre.
- The ABCD-Centre will announce a positive selection result within four weeks after the application deadline. Please refrain from inquiries until then.
VII. Important information
- A mandatory experience report has to be handed in after 2 semesters (intermediary report, max. 2-4 pages) and after successfully completing the Master course (final report, max. 4-6 pages).
- Please contact your local International Office and a local DAAD office for general enquiries for your stay in Germany.
- The funding rules and regulations by the DAAD under the program “Global Centres for Climate and Environment” apply.
- After the selection the scholarship recipient has to confirm in a binding manner the acceptance of the scholarship.